Friday, June 17, 2005

Ice-picks and history

'Ice-pick that killed Trotsky' found in Mexico. Naturally the person who has the ice-pick wants some cash:
"I am looking for some financial benefit. I think something as historically important at this should be worth something, no?"
I think I must have been about 13 when I first read about the assassination of Leon Trotsky in one of my history books. Back then the whole ice-pick in the head of his enemy scenario not only helped sum up what a mad bastard Stalin could be but also helped turn my gaze towards some of the intrique inherent within "history". Before that I had considered it more in terms of trying to memorise the names of some old dead guys and a few dates - an inconvenience which got in the way of more important things like playing football or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?